Pages

10.08.2008

The Greeks

Sicily has been invaded by so many other groups, but I'm so glad the Greeks were here. On Sunday, we headed to the Valley of the Temples which are said to be some of the best temples outside of Greece. I loved them... it's hard to imagine how old they are and yet are still here for us to admire. The above picture is a temple at Segesta which we were lucky enough to get to see just before the sun set and the park closed.
It's times like this that I'm wishing I spent more time at the office. Maybe I could have brought an RFP with me to read while sitting on the steps of an ancient Greek temple, contemplating if I can get away with using 6 point font on a table of numbers. Oh yea, that's what is going through my mind right about now...
My little friend has become quite the sophisticated tourist.
Ok, so at this point it's been a few hours since our last meal so it was time for more pasta. We went to a lovely little restaurant in Agrigento. The owner was very proud of his food and made sure we had a memorable meal. This pasta is hand formed into little curls that hold the sauce - made with eggplant and fresh cheese. Yum!
You might notice that I don't have pictures of every course - each meal starts with an antipasti, then pasta, then meat with some contorni (side dishes), then fruit, then dolci (dessert), then espresso... sometimes I'm well into finishing off a dish before I remember to take a picture. But... I did snap a picture of the dolci that afternoon. Mauritsio, our wonderful bus driver, stopped at this patisseria and ordered these HUGE canoli for us. These things are like 12 inches long!! Are you drooling yet? So good...
This is Nina, our beautiful and talented guide. She has patiently put up with Ted for nearly 2 weeks now. In fact...
She has been indoctrinated into the Pagan Tiki world... the doctors think she may make a full recovery with plenty of quiet rest. (She's going to be so pissed that I posted this picture...;>)
The fun continues...
Holy Cow! That only brings you up to Monday morning. I'm feeling parched and must now get a little cafè before I can continue.
Thanks to all of you who have left comments. I love getting them. Thanks and Chow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whow.... what do you think the point count was on those canolis?
and I'm guessing the wine has been up to T/S (that's Ted Standrad, but you seem to be focussing on the food more.
Keep um comming
Love
R

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys, Sounds like you are having loads of fun. I am enjoying reading about your adventures each day. And of course, I love the pictures. Keep them coming...

Anonymous said...

Holy moly! Those canolis are gifts from God! F**k the point count and have another for me!

The Sicily Greek pictures are beautiful. Your next trip should be the Greek Islands... now thats beauty!

Anyways, keep having fun and posting the treats!

-KY

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marybeth said...

Your back, I missed you sooooo! F the points, your on vacation and you look like you are having such a great time and I know I am following you! I have got to get over there, being the history major of the family. Keep them coming, no more rural areas!
Are you getting receipes for all this great food?

Love ya!
Mb

Anonymous said...

I'm still so jealous... :) Hopefully I will get to enjoy Italy next year... Sheila