Pages

10.22.2008

Eat Your Heart Out - Buffalo Style!

After Paestum, we were given a tour and lunch at none other than an authentic, organic, water-buffalo farm where they make buffalo mozzarella and ricotta cheeses. (JP - I thought of you... it was the best I've ever eaten and I'm ruined for life. The Best!)
Making the cheese...
Ok, so then we were treated to the most incredible cheese fest, glorious animal butter-fat binge we've ever experienced in our lives. The meal started with fresh bread warm from the oven. This bread had olives in it and it was crusty and delicious...
The first course were cheese blintzes with ricotta and spinach that were just so delicate.
Then each person got a plate of little mozzarella balls, ricotta, and salad to go with...is this not the most appetizing plate you've ever seen?
The ricotta was like nothing I've ever had in my life and the texture of the mozz balls have ruined me for any other I will ever be able to get in the states. Once I ate this plate and thought I was going to burst, this little Italian woman came around with extra!! I couldn't resist... I said just a little more "piccolo"... yea that didn't work. I got another plateful!! Oh my, it's going down bad.
Then dessert was this creamy, tangy yogurt in little jars. Ted was going around and collecting all he could from others who weren't eating it. The taste was so unique and I loved it.
As if that wasn't enough, the gave us gelato made with buffalo milk. I actually had to step away from the table at this point but Ted went the whole nine yards. Help!! We're trapped in food nirvana!!
Mauritzio, the best bus driver in the world who has been with Ted and I for almost 4 weeks now, joined us for lunch. At this point, he says that Ted is his brother. (He wore a Ted Pagan Tiki Hut t-shirt to the cave party, good guy.)
Ok, back on the bus for a serious nap and on to Positano, the playground of the rich and famous... and us!
Chow!

No comments: